Call for Nominations of candidates to fill two seats on LACNIC´s Board of Directors
According to the bylaws and the calendar approved, LACNIC´s Electoral Commission calls for nomination of candidates to fill two seats on LACNIC´s Board of Directors that will become vacant on December 31st, 2006 with the ending of Hartmut Glaser and Jesús Martínez terms. The election will be carried out according to the following conditions:
Requirements to be nominated:
The person to be appointed to fill a seat on the Board of Directors must be nominated by a member organization through its membership contact, who is the person selected by each organization to exercise the membership rights.
The organization must be up to date with its dues and the nominated candidate may or may not belong to this organization. Only members who have the right of vote are allowed to nominate candidates. According to the bylaws, these members are: Active A, Active B, and Active Founding members.
The description of the Active A and Active B members are the following.
- Active "A" Members. Those receiving IP address space directly from LACNIC, those receiving IP address space indirectly through national registries according to the contracts celebrated between LACNIC and said registries, or those who received address space from ARIN and belong to the address space awarded to LACNIC, and request admittance.
- Active "B" Members. Organizations residing in Latin America or the Caribbean or whose activities are carried out mainly in Latin America or the Caribbean, related to Internet development and/or formed by Internet access service providers, that make a relevant contribution to Internet related policies in the region of Latin America and the Caribbean, agree with LACNIC's objectives and request admittance.
(The complete text of the bylaws is available at: http://lacnic.net/en/sobre-lacnic/estatuto/)
Restrictions for candidate nomination and election
According to Article 20 of LACNIC's bylaws, "… not more than two of these Directors may be elected from among persons having legal address in the same country, and not more than one Director who has employment, consultancy or advisory relationships with the same Company and/or with one of its related companies established or not in the same country..”
Should it be necessary, the Electoral Commission will adopt the necessary criteria to apply the restrictions dictated by the bylaws.
Candidatures must be submitted via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: “Candidature for LACNIC´s Board of Directors” with the following information:
- Name of candidate:
- E-mail of candidate:
- Name of the person who nominates the candidate:
- Organization of the person nominating the candidate:
- Motivation for nomination:
|Summon for elections
|Submission of candidatures period
||Aug. 11 – Oct. 10
|Closing and publication of the voter registration list
|Reception of claims about voter registration list
||Oct. 11 – 25
|Publication of candidates´ statements, acknowledgement of candidatures, questions to the candidates
||Oct. 11 – Nov. 9
||Nov. 10 - 20
|Announcement of elected candidates
The actual voting will take place through the Internet on LACNIC´s web page.
Members have the right to present one candidate for each seat to be filled.
Each member has one designated member representative (membership contact) who is eligible to cast the vote. This individual will receive the voting instructions via
e-mail containing details of the election, voting instructions and information to be provided when casting the vote. LACNIC must have this individual's name and personalized e-mail address on record. The accuracy of this information is solely responsibility of the members. In no way LACNIC will be responsible for the accuracy or updating of this information.
Organizations that have not updated their information yet, please refer to our web page: http://lacnic.net/en/update.html where the detailed updating process is explained.
Starting on the day when the voting instructions are e-mailed to the members, they will have a period of 15 days in order to make questions regarding their membership details (membership category, number of votes, or any other related inquiries).
Conditions to vote:
All organizations that are member of LACNIC by October 10th 2006 at 20:00 UTC are up to date with their membership dues, and do not have any preceding debt with LACNIC may vote in this election. (The membership dues are considered the bills corresponding to the allocation and/or maintenance of IPv4 and/or IPv6 blocks).
According to the bylaws, LACNIC members are entitled to differential votes depending on the category and the level to which they belong. Therefore, each vote will be pondered based on this criterion. The categories are the following:
- Active A members are entitled to 1 to 5 votes, depending on the address space they administer:
- Level 1: administer IPv6 blocks of any size and/or IPv4 blocks equivalent to a /19 or smaller: 1 vote
- Level 2: administer IPv4 blocks greater than a /19 and smaller than a /16: 2 votes
- Level 3: administer IPv4 blocks equivalent or greater than a /16 and smaller than a /14: 3 votes
- Level 4: administer IPv4 blocks equivalent or greater than a /14 and smaller than a /11: 4 votes
- Level 5: administer IPv4 blocks equivalent or greater than a /11: 5 votes
- Active B members: 1 vote
- Active Founding members: 1 vote
The number of votes is not cumulative in case that the member falls into more than one category.
Announcement of the elected candidates:
The maximum term for the Electoral Commission to announce the outcome of the election is November 30th..
The elected candidates will occupy their seats on January 1st. 2007
Further details on LACNIC´s elections are available at:
Information about LACNIC´s Board of Directors: