IP address allocation follows the hierarchical scheme described in RFC 2050. For the region of Latin America and the Caribbean, IP address space is allocated by IANA to LACNIC for its subsequent allocation and assignment to National Internet Registries (NIRs), Internet Service Providers (ISPs), and end users. In addition, administration of Autonomous System Numbers and reverse resolution space are critical components for the efficient operation of the Internet on a global level. This document describes the policies and procedures relating to the allocation, assignment and administration of IPv4 and IPv6 address space, ASN, and the delegation of the reverse resolution space assigned to Latin America and the Caribbean. These policies must be followed by NIRs, ISPs, and end users.
- Version 1.0 - Original Version.
- Version 1.1 - Global ASNs Policy (LAC-2007-08) added.
- Version 1.2 - Global Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space (LAC-2008-01) added.
- Version 1.3 -
- IPv6 Allocations to ISPs or LIRs with previous IPv4 allocations (LAC-2009-02) added.
- ASPLAIN notation for 32-bit ASNs (LAC-2009-03) added.
- Allocation of 16-bit only ASNs (LAC-2009-05) added.
- Modification of the minimum initial IPv4 allocation size for ISPs to a /22 (LAC-2009-07) added.
- Version 1.4 -
- Transfers of IPv4 Blocks within the LACNIC Region (LAC-2009-04) added.
- Resource recovery (LAC-2009-06) added.
- Modifications to the IPv6 Prefix Initial Allocation Policy (LAC-2007-01) added.
- Version 1.5 -
- Modification: 188.8.131.52. Direct Allocations to Internet Service Providers (LAC-2009-09) added.
- Initial allocation and assignment of IPv4 addresses for ISPs (LAC-2010-05) added.
- Assignment to End Users with need of interconection (LAC-2010-06) added.
- Version 1.5.1 -
- Typing error in chapter 7 corrected.
- Version 1.6 -
- Inclusion of ASN in the whois when available (LAC-2010-03) added.
- Version 1.7 -
- Elimination of technical restrictions on IPv6 prefix de-aggregation (LAC-2011-01) added.
- Modification of Section 2.3.3 - Initial IPv4 Address Allocation and Assignment (LAC-2011-02) added.
- Version 1.7.1
- Reference to IPv4 Resources Distribution Report added in section 2.3.4.
- Version 1.8
- Modification of Section 2.3.4 - Policies for the Distribution of Additional IPv4 Address Space (LAC-2011-03) added.
- Add line 6 to Section 11.1 of the Policy Manual on IPv4 address exhaustion (LAC-2011-04) added.
- Distributions / Allocations for a smooth finish of IPv4 resources (LAC-2011-06) added.
- Version 1.9
- Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA (LAC-2011-05) added.
- Version 1.10
- Registering assignments (LAC-2012-02) added.
- Special IPv4 Allocations/Assignments Reserved for New Members (LAC-2012-02) added.
Full PDF Version Download